The year has flown by, and we are very busy preparing for the big day! Commencement 2023 will be held at the Santander Arena in Reading on Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. It is imperative that all seniors adhere to arrival times for our two Commencement practices, as well as the actual Commencement ceremony; therefore, please take a few minutes along with your child to review the following information very thoroughly.
Important Dates (click on each activity for specific information)
Wednesday, May 17
All senior obligations must be paid in-full or items returned to Mrs. Redcay in the main office.
- Thursday, May 18
- All-Sports Ceremony; GMHS auditorium; 6:30 p.m. (also streamed on the GMSD Facebook page)
- Friday, May 19
- Senior Class Trip (optional - for those students who signed up); Pocono Valley Resort; 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 20
- Junior/Senior Prom; DoubleTree by Hilton Head Reading; 6:30-10:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 22
- Once again, each senior has the option to keep their Chromebook at no cost. If a senior selects not to keep their Chromebook, it must be dropped off at the HELP Desk, located in the library, by Monday, May 22.
- Seniors last day at GMHS.
- Seniors last day at BCTC unless a senior student needs additional hours. All additional hours must be approved by the student’s BCTC instructor. Last day for all BCTC students at the career centers is Friday, June 2. From May 22-26: standard transportation to and from GMHS will be provided by district buses; BCTC will provide transportation to and from the BCTC campuses. Buses will depart GMHS at approximately 7:25 a.m. and return at approximately 10:40 a.m. From May 30 (May 29 is a holiday)-June 2: GMSD will be utilizing alternative bus numbers and bus stops. It is the responsibility of your child to get this updated transportation information directly from his or her morning GMSD bus driver PRIOR to May 30. Please ask your son or daughter to stop and talk to the driver when boarding their GMSD bus. The driver will be able to share your child’s alternative bus number and bus stop. Again, final day for seniors at BCTC will depend on whether or not they need additional hours and if the hours are approved by the instructor.
- Senior Awards Ceremony; GMHS auditorium; 6:30 p.m. (also streamed on the GMSD Facebook page)
- Tuesday, May 23
- Check-in and mandatory senior class breakfast; GM Intermediate School; 7:00 a.m.
- First mandatory Commencement practice and senior parades; GM Intermediate School; immediately following breakfast until approximately 12:00 p.m.
- The annual senior class photo will take place at this practice; all seniors are encouraged to dress their best
- GM Music Department Awards Ceremony; GMHS auditorium; 7:00 p.m. (also streamed on the GMSD Facebook page)
- Wednesday, May 24
- Baccalaureate (optional); GMHS auditorium; 7:00 p.m. (also streamed on the GMSD Facebook page)
- Thursday, May 25
- Second mandatory Commencement practice; Santander Arena; 8:25-10:50 a.m.
- All seniors must check in at GMHS by 8:25 a.m.; school buses depart at 8:30 a.m. for Santander Arena; seniors will return to GMHS at approximately 10:50 a.m. Please note: your child must use the transportation provided by the district. Upon their return, seniors will not be allowed back into GMHS unless they have obligations to handle in the main office.
- Commencement Ceremony; Santander Arena; 6:00 p.m (also streamed on the GMSD Facebook page) All seniors must report and enter Santander Arena’s side entrance across from the DoubleTree by Hilton no later than 5:15 p.m. Guests will enter through the main entrance.
- Monday, May 29
- Tuesday, May 30
- BCTC Senior Recognition Night, Santander Arena, 6:30 p.m.
NOTE: The details of each event listed below are subject to change.
SENIOR OBLIGATIONS MUST BE FULFILLED – MAY 17
- In order for your child to participate in the events listed within this letter, they must clear ALL obligations by Wednesday, May 17, 2023. Examples of obligations include, but are not limited to the following: outstanding activity fees; the return of textbooks, library books, and athletic uniforms; as well as pre-existing Chromebook related-fees. Please ask your child to see Mrs. Redcay in the main office prior to Wednesday, May 17, 2023.
SENIOR AWARDS CEREMONY – MAY 22
- The annual Senior Awards Ceremony will be held in the high school auditorium on Monday, May 22, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. At this ceremony, we will be recognizing select members of this year’s graduating class for their achievements and contributions to our community. If your senior receives an invitation to attend this special event, we certainly hope you make every effort to attend, too! This year’s ceremony will be streamed on the Governor Mifflin School District's Facebook page. As we get closer to the event, please refer to the GMSD website and Facebook page for additional details.
FIRST MANDATORY COMMENCEMENT PRACTICE – MAY 23
- Prior to the first mandatory Commencement practice, a mandatory senior class breakfast will take place at the GM Intermediate school at 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 23, 2023. Immediately following breakfast, the first mandatory Commencement practice will be held until approximately 12:00 p.m at the GM Intermediate School. As part of this practice, all seniors will parade through a GMSD elementary school and GMMS in their caps and gowns to inspire current students to reach their graduation goal! Your child does not have to return to GMHS after practice.
- If your son or daughter is not present at this practice, he or she will not be permitted to participate in the Commencement ceremony on Thursday, May 25, 2023. In addition, if your child is quarantined on the day of the Commencement practice, it will be their responsibility to reach out to either Mrs. Azzarello or Mrs. Taylor for Commencement instructions.
- Dress Attire: To make sure each graduate has appropriate attire for Commencement, all seniors should dress for this practice as though it’s Commencement. Please take note of the following guidelines for this formal occasion: females should wear a dress, skirt, or dress slacks; males should wear dress slacks, a long-sleeved button-down dress shirt, and a tie. All seniors should wear dress shoes (sneakers, flip-flops, boots, etc. are too casual for this formal occasion). Females are encouraged NOT to wear heels on this day as we will be parading/walking immediately after practice.
- A senior group photo will be taken at this practice.
- Purdon will be selling the photograph for $10. If you would like to purchase the class photo, please submit your payment of $10 to Mrs. Azzarello in room #207 by May 22 (last day for seniors in the school).
- The photograph will be distributed at Commencement.
- Distribution of caps, gowns and Commencement tickets
- All obligations must be fulfilled before caps, gowns and tickets are issued to a graduating senior.
- Each senior will receive ten tickets.
- All guests (including children) must present a ticket in order to enter the ceremony on May 25.
- Please also understand that this is a very important occasion for your child, and the reverence of the ceremony is vital; please consider this when deciding on who will be attending the Commencement ceremony.
BACCALAUREATE – MAY 24
- This event is an interfaith service for seniors, their families and the community. The service will include music, a slide show, and student, faculty and community speakers sharing reflections and words of encouragement to the senior class. It will be held on Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 7:00 p.m. in the high school auditorium with a reception immediately following the service. Participation in this service is optional. Parents and students have organized this service and welcome your attendance. This year’s service will be streamed on the Governor Mifflin School District's Facebook page. As we get closer to the event, please refer to the GMSD website and Facebook page for additional details.
SECOND MANDATORY COMMENCEMENT PRACTICE – MAY 25
- The second mandatory Commencement practice will be from 8:25-10:50 a.m. on Thursday, May 25, 2023 at the Santander Arena.
- ALL seniors must check in at GMHS by 8:25 a.m.; buses depart at 8:30 a.m., and we will return to GMHS at approximately 10:50 a.m. Please note: your child must use the transportation provided by the district.
- If your son or daughter is not present at practice, he or she will not be permitted to participate in the Commencement ceremony.
- Dress for this practice is casual. The Santander Arena can be quite cold; therefore, we suggest all students bring an extra layer.
- Seniors will not be permitted back in the high school unless they are paying for an obligation.
COMMENCEMENT – MAY 25
- Commencement begins at 6:00 p.m. All seniors must report to Santander Arena’s side entrance across from the DoubleTree by Hilton no later than 5:15 p.m. Guests will enter through the front entrance of the arena with their ticket.
- Seniors must bring their cap and gown to COMMENCEMENT - DO NOT IRON THE GOWN.
- Graduate dress attire: In general, females should wear a dress, skirt, or dress slacks. Males should wear dress slacks, a long sleeved button down dress shirt and a tie. All seniors should wear dress shoes - sneakers, flip-flops, and boots are not appropriate for this formal occasion. Females are to be cautious about wearing heels, since they are walking up and down stairs.
- Other than one car key, seniors are not permitted to bring additional items into Santander Arena. Please drive together with your guests/family and leave your personal items with them. All items will be confiscated and returned to the students at the conclusion of the ceremony.
- Please remember, this is a solemn occasion and catcalling, foot stomping, noise makers, etc. are completely inappropriate. You are discouraged from bringing the following into the facility: signs, balloons, gifts, etc. Santander security will remove disruptive guests.
- All guests (including children) must present a ticket in order to enter the ceremony.
- The ceremony will be broadcasted LIVE for everyone at home to watch. Refer to the GMSD website and Facebook page for more.
Associate Principal & Graduation Coordinator
Senior Class Advisor
Class of 2023!
Once again we have partnered with Student Services Company to provide our seniors with caps and gowns, as well as Governor Mifflin's official senior celebration products! Graduation is just around the corner!
Though the initial deadline has passed, if you have not ordered, it is not too late! Simply go to ssgradstore.com to enter SSC's online store, enter "Governor Mifflin High School" in the search box, and securely place your order. This LATE ORDER PROGRAM is the company's LAST CHANCE to fill your order. The final deadline for placing your order is Wednesday, February 15th.
👉 If you are borrowing a cap and gown, you only need to order a 2023 tassel.
Your cap and gown will be shipped to and distributed from your school. All other graduation products ordered through this program will be mailed to your home.
If you have any questions, please contact SSC via either phone (610.539.1330), or email at email@example.com.
The Class of 2023 Commencement ceremony is tentatively scheduled to be held at the Santander Arena in Reading on Thursday, May 25, 2023 beginning at 6:00 p.m.
As a parent/guardian of a senior student in the Governor Mifflin School District, there are a few details that are required of you and your son/daughter as we prepare for this very special event. Please thoroughly review the following procedures:
- Please review and complete the GMHS 2023 Diploma Form by Friday, October 21, 2022. This Google form must be completed and submitted whether or not your son or daughter decides to participate in the Commencement ceremony. If the form is not completed and submitted by October 21, the name we have on file for your child will be used. If your son or daughter is an “off-campus” student (GM Gold or off-campus placement), please indicate his or her interest in participating in the ceremony on the GMHS 2023 Diploma Form. In order to avoid multiple entries per student, we kindly request one 2023 Diploma Form submission per student, preferably by a parent/guardian.
- Graduating seniors are required to wear a cap and gown if they are planning to walk at Commencement 2023. A student may borrow a cap and gown of a student who graduated from GMHS in 2019, 2020, 2021 or 2022 only. If this is your intention, please notify GMHS Co-graduation Coordinator, Melissa Taylor, at Melissa.Taylor@gmsd.org by Friday, October 21. Please note, even though the student may be borrowing a cap and gown, he/she will be required to place an order for a “2023” tassel only.
- Please take a few minutes to review this short ordering video as well as Student Services Company’s Digital Brochure.
- All GMHS graduation products, including cap and gown and/or 2023 tassel orders, must be placed online at sscgradstore.com (enter Governor Mifflin High School) or by calling Student Services Company at 610-539-1330. All orders, including cap and gown and/or 2023 tassel, must be ordered by Friday, October 21. A late fee of $5 will be incurred if your order is received after this date.
- In order to meet our printing deadline for personalized graduation stationery, the date of Commencement will be written as “May 25, 2023.” The GMSD School Board will approve the final date of Commencement in the spring of 2023. Stationery orders as well as orders for all other graduation products are due by Friday, October 21. If you need assistance with Student Services Grad Store’s website, please contact Student Services Company directly at 610-539-1330.
In order to create a uniform appearance in the senior section of the 2023 yearbook, Archive, all yearbook senior portraits must be taken at Purdon House of Photography, located at the corner of Lancaster Avenue and Lynoak Avenue in Shillington. All senior portraits that are published in the yearbook will be free of charge if taken at Purdon House of Photography. If your child has not had their senior yearbook photo taken, please sign up online at: Purdon House of Photography
Please contact Purdon House of Photography directly if you have any questions or concerns – 610-777-3742.
- Please notify Purdon if you are unable to keep your appointment. Missed appointments without notification will result in a $10 charge. All appointments must occur before Saturday, December 10, 2022.
Purdon offers two portrait packages to Governor Mifflin seniors. While you may choose not to purchase additional photos from Purdon for your personal use, Option “A” must be selected in order to have your child’s portrait appear in the 2023 yearbook:
Option “A”: This is the yearbook pose; no fee will be charged
- Four different poses will be taken; no wardrobe/outfit changes will be permitted
- Purdon Studio will choose the best image, retouch it and forward it to the GMHS yearbook staff
Option “B”: Personal Photo Package; a fee of $20 will be charged
- Twelve to sixteen poses will be taken with up to three wardrobe changes
- Different background choices will be available
- If desired, special props can be used; please bring your preferred props to the appointment
- Proofs will be posted through a secure online link for your review and approval
Gentlemen: Suit or dress shirt with collar, tie, sports coat and slacks
Ladies: Skirt or slacks with coordinated top; solid-colored dress
Please mark your calendar with these additional year-end senior events:
- Senior Awards Ceremony – Monday, May 22, 2023, 6:30 p.m., auditorium (tentative)
- Two Mandatory Commencement Rehearsals – Tuesday, May 23, 2023 and Thursday, May 25, 2023 (tentative)
- Baccalaureate (optional) – Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 7:00 p.m., auditorium (tentative)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact GMHS Co-graduation Coordinator, Melissa Taylor, at Melissa.Taylor@gmsd.org