The Class of 2023 Commencement ceremony is tentatively scheduled to be held at the Santander Arena in Reading on Thursday, May 25, 2023 beginning at 6:00 p.m.
As a parent/guardian of a senior student in the Governor Mifflin School District, there are a few details that are required of you and your son/daughter as we prepare for this very special event. Please thoroughly review the following procedures:
- Please review and complete the GMHS 2023 Diploma Form by Friday, October 21, 2022. This Google form must be completed and submitted whether or not your son or daughter decides to participate in the Commencement ceremony. If the form is not completed and submitted by October 21, the name we have on file for your child will be used. If your son or daughter is an “off-campus” student (GM Gold or off-campus placement), please indicate his or her interest in participating in the ceremony on the GMHS 2023 Diploma Form. In order to avoid multiple entries per student, we kindly request one 2023 Diploma Form submission per student, preferably by a parent/guardian.
- Graduating seniors are required to wear a cap and gown if they are planning to walk at Commencement 2023. A student may borrow a cap and gown of a student who graduated from GMHS in 2019, 2020, 2021 or 2022 only. If this is your intention, please notify GMHS Co-graduation Coordinator, Melissa Taylor, at Melissa.Taylor@gmsd.org by Friday, October 21. Please note, even though the student may be borrowing a cap and gown, he/she will be required to place an order for a “2023” tassel only.
- Please take a few minutes to review this short ordering video as well as Student Services Company’s Digital Brochure.
- All GMHS graduation products, including cap and gown and/or 2023 tassel orders, must be placed online at sscgradstore.com (enter Governor Mifflin High School) or by calling Student Services Company at 610-539-1330. All orders, including cap and gown and/or 2023 tassel, must be ordered by Friday, October 21. A late fee of $5 will be incurred if your order is received after this date.
- In order to meet our printing deadline for personalized graduation stationery, the date of Commencement will be written as “May 25, 2023.” The GMSD School Board will approve the final date of Commencement in the spring of 2023. Stationery orders as well as orders for all other graduation products are due by Friday, October 21. If you need assistance with Student Services Grad Store’s website, please contact Student Services Company directly at 610-539-1330.
In order to create a uniform appearance in the senior section of the 2023 yearbook, Archive, all yearbook senior portraits must be taken at Purdon House of Photography, located at the corner of Lancaster Avenue and Lynoak Avenue in Shillington. All senior portraits that are published in the yearbook will be free of charge if taken at Purdon House of Photography. If your child has not had their senior yearbook photo taken, please sign up online at: Purdon House of Photography
Please contact Purdon House of Photography directly if you have any questions or concerns – 610-777-3742.
- Please notify Purdon if you are unable to keep your appointment. Missed appointments without notification will result in a $10 charge. All appointments must occur before Friday, November 25, 2022.
Purdon offers two portrait packages to Governor Mifflin seniors. While you may choose not to purchase additional photos from Purdon for your personal use, Option “A” must be selected in order to have your child’s portrait appear in the 2023 yearbook:
Option “A”: This is the yearbook pose; no fee will be charged
- Four different poses will be taken; no wardrobe/outfit changes will be permitted
- Purdon Studio will choose the best image, retouch it and forward it to the GMHS yearbook staff
Option “B”: Personal Photo Package; a fee of $20 will be charged
- Twelve to sixteen poses will be taken with up to three wardrobe changes
- Different background choices will be available
- If desired, special props can be used; please bring your preferred props to the appointment
- Proofs will be posted through a secure online link for your review and approval
Gentlemen: Suit or dress shirt with collar, tie, sports coat and slacks
Ladies: Skirt or slacks with coordinated top; solid-colored dress
Please mark your calendar with these additional year-end senior events:
- Senior Awards Ceremony – Monday, May 22, 2023, 6:30 p.m., auditorium (tentative)
- Two Mandatory Commencement Rehearsals – Tuesday, May 23, 2023 and Thursday, May 25, 2023 (tentative)
- Baccalaureate (optional) – Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 7:00 p.m., auditorium (tentative)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact GMHS Co-graduation Coordinator, Melissa Taylor, at Melissa.Taylor@gmsd.org